Sunday 20 November 2011

Escargots

In Fez, some of the boys were on a mission to find snails. We found a man cooking a huge pot of them in a broth made from 12 secret spices (he wouldn’t reveal any of them to us). We’d seen snails earlier that day in the market in large straw baskets, trying to escape.

These ones evidently hadn’t. The boys bought a bowl of them and offered me one.

I reluctantly accepted. I’ve only tried snails once before when I lived in France with a host family but they were drowned in garlic and from memory they were bigger. I had the most difficulty spearing the snail’s head with a toothpick. Once I’d pulled it out of its shell, it was then also relatively difficult putting it in my mouth! It actually tasted quite good though I didn’t need a second one.

No comments:

Post a Comment