Wednesday 15 February 2012

UPGRADE!: Living it up at the Sheraton, Abuja, Nigeria

Whilst I started my stay in Abuja in the back of the Sheraton by the rubbish tip,
for the next four nights, myself and a few others opted for the upgrade to the hotel rooms
– and it was A-MA-ZING!

I hadn’t upgraded since St Louis, Senegal so it was a real treat. And this was definitely THE place to upgrade. We had five days here and lots of spare time so I spent much of it in the air-conditioned room, having showers, painting my nails, getting my eyelashes tinted (thanks to Kristy!), using the free internet, and ordering room service – once at 2am on a whim. Enjoying being girly whilst I can! And when we came back at 2am one night, we were pleased to find an invitation for a cocktail party wedged into our door.

The cocktail party was in the lobby of the Sheraton and we felt very civilised – glasses of chilled white wine, buffet and canapés (including caviar!) Best of all it was all free.
Needless to say, we didn’t need much dinner so I just had a bruschetta at their Italian restaurant.
Aside from enjoying the air-conditioning, we also visited the mosque though we couldn’t get inside the day we went as it was a weekend. There were actually incredible views of the mosque from the back of the Sheraton and on the first night, I slept on the truck and watched the sunrise behind it.
The church was also impressive and we were able to visit the inside.


We saw Zuma rock on the outskirts of Abuja.
And visited Wuse market, where some of us got some new clothes made by a lady named Oby.
All in all, it was nice being civilised for a while before going through the toughest stretch of bush camping and on the toughest roads we would encounter the entire trip. Before too long, it would be time to ‘swallow some cement and harden up’ as many of the group would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment